The #365daysofstuff Challenge!

I, Grace Holt, of the A-Holt clan, have had two epiphanies today.  The first, that Cheetos smell like poots.  Don't get me wrong, they're delicious, but you open a bag and it smells like our always full diaper pail there for a second!  The second epiphany?  I have too much stuff.  Between our overflowing corner of canned goods in the kitchen....



...my stack of cookbooks stashed away in a cupboard, when all my recipes usually come from Pinterest....


...the box o'stuff on the computer desk that I keep saying I'll sort someday (yes, those are our Christmas stockings stuck in there).....


...or the coup de gras, my dresser...


...our little house is busting at the seams with all the stuff we've accumulated over the years of marriage and child-rearing.  And, basically, I'm in the mood where I just want to get rid of everything!

However, before I decide to get rid of all our earthly possessions, I really need to examine my heart. No, I'm not headed to the cardiologist, I'm just talking about my reasons why I feel the need to hang onto all this stuff.  Some of it we need, but a large portion we could live without.  It would most likely simplify our lives if we decided to live more, well, simply.  It would make life easier if I could put all my clothes away in their drawers instead of smashing them on top of the other clothes that I never wear but keep just because someday I might need to wear a short sleeved cropped sparkly blue cardigan even though I've only worn it once (how's that for a run-on sentence?).  But, I keep the cardigan, because what if someday it matches the outfit I want to wear?  I keep all the canned beans that are actually (confession time here) overflow from the pantry because there's too much food already stored in there.  How's that for a first world problem?

As I mulled over our issue of 'stuff,' I realized what the reason is.  It makes me feel safe.  If, for whatever reason, my husband lost his job, or a zombie apocalypse actually occurred, we'd have food stored away to survive.  Never mind the fact that I claim belief in a God that will provide if we ever found ourselves in that situation.  Never mind we have amazing family in the area, both biological and through our church, that would never allow us and the kiddos to starve.  Never mind the fact that Jesus specifically says not to worry about food, or clothes for that matter.  If I'm going to trust Him, part of that is letting go, and being willing to part with the things we don't need.  Because, at the end of the day, they're just things, not a security system.

So, in my effort to lead a simpler life, and in the process, trust God a bit more, I'm challenging myself.  Here it is:

For the next year, until 2016, I'm going to find one thing per day to give away.  I can either go once a week and pick seven items, or just pick one per day, but at the end of the year, 365 items should make their way out of our house.  On top of that, if I buy something new in the next year, I'll stick to the 'one in, one out' rule, in addition to the other items being culled from our midst.  It could be a sweater that never gets worn that could bring a few dollars to a local women's shelter through their thrift store, were I to donate it.  Those cans of beans could be donated to a local food pantry.  I could even make it as simple as going through all the pens on the computer desk (there's so many!) and throwing away the ones that don't work.   Basically, in the words of the cinematic masterpiece my kiddos have been watching non-stop lately, Veggie Tales: Veggies In Space, "if you have enough to spare, you've got enough to share!"

I share this, not to make myself look like this super awesome person, but to keep myself accountable.  I'm not exactly a poster child of sticking with projects until they're finished.  I'll post weekly updates on my Instagram (@lifewithaholts), and also post monthly updates here. Feel free to hassle me if you don't see me posting anything, too!  If you'd like to join me on this year of donating and decluttering, feel free to post the items you're donating on either Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest, and tag it #365daysofstuff.  Since it's already the 19th, I need to find 19 items to donate, and I'm getting started with these 7 mugs and glasses... only 12 more to go!


Feel free to stop by tomorrow for an outfit post!  Spoiler alert, it involves one dress doing double duty.  Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Haha. Mmm. Cheetos. :DDD I used to be so addicted to those things! I guess I somehow became desensitized to the weird smell. O_o Good luck with the clutter purge! I feel like I get to that point maybe twice a year. I know the feeling of just wanting to give everything away. It's a nice cleanse. There are so many things we think we need, but when we truly think about it, we realize that those things were just "wants" as opposed to necessities. I have you in my thoughts! <3

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your input!