Style Imitating Art - Motivation

Another day, another outfit.  I decided to participate in the latest SIA challenge, with this week's painting picked by Jess of Animated Cardigan:

Automat, by Edward Hopper 
Oil on canvas, 1927
I love the rich green color of the girl's coat in this painting, and at first, I was lamenting the fact that I didn't have anything green in my closet to mimic it.  But then, I remembered an extremely oversized top I'd thrifted while pregnant, with the intention of making it into a maternity top.  Obviously, that project got postponed for a while, but this round of SIA was the perfect motivator to finally get that top refashioned!

(please excuse the off-center belt, I did not notice until seeing these pictures!)
My favorite part of this dress, other than the color?  Since it's made from a shirt, it has a great shirt-tail hem!


I added in some color and graphic elements with my accessories to mimic some of the other details from the painting, and this actually ended up being one of my favorite outfits so far this year!




Outfit Details:
Dress: thrifted and refashioned, $3
Belt: borrowed from another dress
Tights: Wal-Mart, $2
Shoes: Missoni for Target, thrifted, $2
Earrings: Old Navy, $2 (clearance)
Grand Total: $9

If you'd like to see how some other ladies translate this painting into their outfits, stop by Jess's blog tomorrow for the round up of the other SIA participants!

1 comment:

  1. That shirt made a perfect dress! It's so stylish and has a 70's retro look. I thought the shoes were vintage 80's. I'm sorry I missed out on those!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your input!