Thrifted Peplum - A little DIY

So, after working on my sewing skills lately, I've decided to try my hand at a little DIY tutorial for you guys!  If you're like me and loving the peplum trend lately (check out this pin), why not try your hand at making yourself a top out of a $5 thrift store dress?  The end result may end up looking something like this:


Excuse the angry look on my face, I completely forgot how hard it is to keep my balance in these shoes!  Plus, I had a small audience distracting me:


Anyways, here's what you'll need:

1 fitted sheath dress with a back zipper.  It needs to fit through the bust area, since that will remain intact.

Coordinating thread, scissors, and a sewing machine.  You know, sewin' stuff.


1. Pick out a dress to use.  Like I said, the top is going to stay intact, so make sure that fits.  This one is just a drawing, since I didn't think ahead to take pictures of the original project!


The dress I chose was too tight in the hip area, which was perfect, since I was going to be cutting that part off anyways.


2. Before you start cutting, you're going to want to shorten the zipper so it doesn't come undone when you cut off the bottom.  Find your natural waist and mark on the back zipper where that hits.  Then forward and back stitch right over that mark on the zipper, making sure to use a longer stitch so you don't break your needle on the zipper!


3. Next, you're going to start cutting!  Measure 1" below the natural waist to allow for a seam allowance, and cut off the bottom portion of the dress.


4. Use your seam ripper to take out any stitching left in the skirts (i.e. darts, side seams, hem), and then cut the skirt in half widthwise.


5. Take those rectangles of fabric, and sew them together on the shorter sides, right sides together, into a 'tube'.


6. Take your 'tube' and pin it to your bodice, right sides together.  Be sure to line up the side seams of the bodice with the two side seams of the 'tube.' 


7. Now take all that extra fabric and start pleating from the middle until the extra fabric is all lined up with the bodice.  Once it's all pinned, sew along the pleated side.  Go slow to ensure the pleats stay flat and you don't sew over a pin!


8. Turn it right side out, press the pleats, press and hem the bottom, and you're done (just like the picture says!).  And then, enjoy your new peplum top!


Outfit Details:
Top: DIY'ed from thrifted dress, $5
Skirt: DIY, tutorials here
Shoes: thrifted, $6
Necklace and Earrings: DIY, $3 for materials (similar ones for sale here)
Bracelet: $1 Jewelry Galore (old)

Grand Total: $15


Feel free to comment or e-mail me with any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your input!